Unholy Quotables

"With every question he asked, it became clearer that despite any declaration to the contrary, he viewed me as an adversary. Rather than seeking to elicit information, his questioning sought to elicit a conclusion that he had reached before the hearing began."

-Anita Hill (Congress's version of Matt Walsh) on Arlen Specter's questioning of her during the Clarence "is that a pubic hair in my Coke" Thomas

Friday, February 8, 2008

Reflection Time

First, I apologize for not posting in the days after the Superbowl. It was a weird few days. If I had to compare it to something it would be like the feeling of calmness you have after several bad things happen almost in succession in your life (like you get a letter saying you owe back taxes, then look up to see your significant other complain about the car making bad noises, then hear a crash as you realize your step-son has just destroyed a hutch by assuming his weight could be supported by holding on to the small glass doors that enclose it). When it's one thing at a time you can get upset. But when it's several things almost at once, then you just smile and a wave of eerie calm pours over you as you grab a beer from the fridge and sit down in your most comfortable chair and put it completely out of your mind for 5 minutes.

That's how I felt about the Superbowl. There was so much garbage with spygate, perfection chatter, and hyperbole that all came crashing down when the game was over that all I could do was smile deliriously.

Now that it's been a few days, it's time to "move on" as Belichick said with 2 seconds left on the clock.

In the end, I enjoyed this season immensely. It was a thrilling ride and the climax was a Greek tragedy. But there is a light at the end of that tunnel.

The Patriots were one Asante Samuel interception away from winning the Superbowl. There will be some big changes in the offseason, but there is no reason to assume we won't be seeing the Patriots go deep in the playoffs again next season.

Until then we have the Celtics and Red Sox to cheer on (even if KG and Schilling aren't exactly making us feel warm and fuzzy right now).

I'll be updating the blog as news comes up throughout the offseason, so I hope you'll check back periodically. Evil Patriots was a much more successful blog than I thought possible because of all of you visiting and commenting throughout the season.

I will definitely be posting once per week, so if you enjoyed the blog, I'd encourage you to check back or subscribe to the RSS feed.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back. Your exactly right about putting it out of your mind. I've been using everything and everything to distract myself this week after I woke-up Monday feeling like a loved-one had just died. Thank god there's a close election and Sox are starting up.

I suppose that's the problem with being the Cobra Kai...they lost to Eli-san.

Anonymous said...

Nice quote up top. Very nice.

www.landofpatriots.com

Anonymous said...

We are not ready for a body bag yet. Great blog.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you'll still be writing in the off-season. Tomorrow is Truck Day! Sox playing soon...

EastCoastE30 said...

This isn't exactly on-topic, but you should leave some way of contacting you on this blog (I've come across some juicy tidbits that you may have appreciated, but couldn't get in touch). If I'm ig'nant and just missed it, my bad. Having said that, great job this year. You're rational and insightful in your analysis. Reminds me of what Simmons used to be.

fortunato said...

thanks...love the blog.......it was a ride wasn't it

Anonymous said...

The Superbowl sucked. It wasn't what we were expecting. And we just weren't prepared to see that Patriots get so soundly beaten on the offensive line in a way that hasn't happened to them in years. They saved their worst for last.

That being said, when a region wins 3 Superbowls and 2 World Series in 7 years, with the Celtics a legit contender this spring, it's hard to be too devestated. Aaron Boone felt about 3 millions times worse than this.

John Cyr said...

Good point on leaving some way to contact me, I'm sure you all had some good stuff to send over that I could have been posting. On the right column there is now a "contact" section for finding out who the hell I am and how you can contact me. I'd encourage anyone to send along links or suggestions at any time. I will respond to them all...unless your selling male enhancement products or you need to make me aware that my next of kin was murdered in Nigeria and need to send me money.

John Cyr said...

acowett, I think you're right about not expecting that performance especially from the o-line. Peter King had an interesting point about the protection schemes used (or not used) by the Patriots in his MMQB column today. Just a lot of things that were so out of character for them.

It just feels like next year is going to be a really weird year for them. I don't see any way they don't make the playoffs, but it's just going to have a kind of surreal feel.

I don't know about you but I was expecting the end result of the Aaron Boone walk off HR in 2003. Until that point most Sox fans expected the collapse (the polar opposite of the feeling for the Patriots). You knew it was coming because of Grady leaving Pedro in.

This Superbowl just had so much riding on it and so many angles that I really think them getting to 18-0 only to lose in a completely uncharacteristic way was just shocking. The Sox in 2003 lost in a VERY characteristic way.

Fortunately the 2008 Red Sox are the new 2004 Patriots, so I expect a repeat and will probably have to create an Evil Red Sox blog because the tide is turning on their popularity as well.

G said...

This Patriots fan from Michigan felt the same way. It was quite a season for the Pats and I enjoyed reading your blog all year long.

Anonymous said...

just a reminder - patriots = biggest nfl choke ever.

cheaters

Anonymous said...

We miss you John - please come back! Start-up the Sox blog or something. You're forcing me to read the CHB.