Unholy Quotables

"With every question he asked, it became clearer that despite any declaration to the contrary, he viewed me as an adversary. Rather than seeking to elicit information, his questioning sought to elicit a conclusion that he had reached before the hearing began."

-Anita Hill (Congress's version of Matt Walsh) on Arlen Specter's questioning of her during the Clarence "is that a pubic hair in my Coke" Thomas

Friday, November 9, 2007

Congratulations Evil Patriot of the Week - Mike Vrabel

Congratulations Mike Vrabel, you are our Evil Patriot of the Week!


Nominated by Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star, Kravitz writes glowingly of Vrabel's ability to display a Tom Brady-like level of disrespect: "Shula drew Vrabel's ire after the former Colts and Dolphins coach had the audacity to say what many NFL coaches and players think: That whatever this year's Patriots accomplish -- a perfect season, a Super Bowl, whatever -- it will be accompanied by an asterisk because they stole opponents' signals. Vrabel, when asked about Shula's opinion, could have shown a modicum of respect and simply said he disagreed with Shula. Instead, he dismissed the former coach's views and called Shula an 'old, washed-up coach.' Heck of a football player, Vrabel. Too bad about the complete lack of class."

Other nominees for this week's award included: Roosevelt Colvin (spiking on the Colts logo), Tom Brady (he disrespected all 9 opponents by saying they don't matter), and VP Jonathan Kraft (for daring to accuse the Colts of pumping in noise). Well done gentlemen, well done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So this is weird, but I happened across your blog because someone mentioned it in a comment string on espn.com regarding the Pats running up the scroe...anyway, I really like reading your stuff. You should probably give Bill Simmons more credit for the Cobra Kai Yankees bit, but all around good job. Keep it coming.

Anonymous said...

Great job spreading false and misleading information, but don't let that stop you: (1). Kravitz misquoted Vrabel and later re-wrote his piece correcting the quote. Vrabel said the '72 Colts players were washed-up, not Shula; (2). the Colts logo takes up half the field, Colvin didn't go out of his way to spike the ball there, it's where he made the play; (3). Jonathan Kraft didn't "accuse" the Colts of anything, but he should have.

John Cyr said...

Thank you both for commenting:

1. On the Cobra Kai credit: I've been reading Sportsguy for almost 10 years when he was at Digital City. Anyone who writes sports blogs with any kind of sense of humor almost definitely has to cite him as an inspiration. But, I'm also 34, which means I'm from the Karate Kid generation. The 88 Pistons were the first team I ever used a Cobra Kai reference for and have probably worn it out over the years. I don't know that I've ever called them Cobra Kai Yankees, but if I did it was clearly because Sportsguy wrote it. But I don't think I did. If I ever start mentioning the movie Victory, the Evil Sports Blog Dad or Gal, or Black Shadow, then I'd certainly have ripped him off. But not for Karate Kid. That's just a layup that a ton of people have made up.

2. When I wrote the Vrabel post, the Kravitz story was the nomination. The blog is a celebration of the "perception" of evil. That's kind of the whole point.

3. If you see the replay Colvin runs up to the center of it and spikes it. Colvin is the biggest instigator on the team for that stuff. And of course I love that. But, please, don't try to tell me the logo is half the field and he just happened to spike it in that spot coincidentally.

4. I tried looking for a story that disputes the report that Jonathan Kraft asked the NFL security to looked into the artificial noise, but haven't found one. Instead I find A TON saying that he did. So if there is one, please post a link because I'd like to see it. Not saying you're wrong, but I haven't seen it.

John Cyr said...

one more thing. I didn't see that there was a correction afterwards on Kravitz's story. I just went to the IndyStar.com site and the original column is still there.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071109/COLUMNISTS01/711090434/1034/COLUMNISTS01

If it's there, I can't find it. And to keep the original posted where he says "Heck of a football player too bad about the complete lack of class" shows how much class Kravitz has if Vrabel didn't actually say it.