Unholy Quotables

"With every question he asked, it became clearer that despite any declaration to the contrary, he viewed me as an adversary. Rather than seeking to elicit information, his questioning sought to elicit a conclusion that he had reached before the hearing began."

-Anita Hill (Congress's version of Matt Walsh) on Arlen Specter's questioning of her during the Clarence "is that a pubic hair in my Coke" Thomas

Friday, January 18, 2008

Championship Weekend Picks

San Diego @ New England (-13.5) - I'd love to know what the psyche of a typical Chargers player is coming into this game. On one hand you just beat the consensus 2nd best team in the league, but your superstars are so banged up it has to be making you demoralized even a little. It's going to be cold, which means nothing really, but it will be windy (20-25mph winds). I'm a little concerned about the wind as it will allow the mediocre chargers' safeties to move up and interrupt medium "wes welker" routes. But I do expect some more creative play-calling this week to counteract the pass rush, so it should be fun to watch. I expect at least two interceptions from the Patriots defense this week. In the end the Chargers just won't have enough to keep pace on offense (this is almost a cliche now) and the Patriots will win 31-17.

New York @ Green Bay (-6.5) - I said it last week, but I really mean it this week: this is where Eli's road ends. I like the Packers defense a lot more than I did the Cowboys and I think the Ultimate Warrior can escape the rush and pull the typical Favreresque "whoops" plays to pull out a close one. If the Giants somehow pull this off I'll be more worried about them in the superbowl than I will be about the Packers, because it'll mean they're playing out of their heads as opposed to better team beating a weaker team. I'm rooting for the Packers of course to set up the most polarizing superbowl ever. 24-21 Packers.

This is going to be a lot of fun this weekend. Here's hoping this blog is still relevant on Monday!

No comments: