Unholy Quotables

"With every question he asked, it became clearer that despite any declaration to the contrary, he viewed me as an adversary. Rather than seeking to elicit information, his questioning sought to elicit a conclusion that he had reached before the hearing began."

-Anita Hill (Congress's version of Matt Walsh) on Arlen Specter's questioning of her during the Clarence "is that a pubic hair in my Coke" Thomas

Friday, January 11, 2008

Division Round Picks

And here we go...

Seattle @ Green Bay (-8.5) : Seattle is the most difficult team to figure out. I think last week's game was the first time I saw them all season. But I have seen plenty of the Packers. We all know what the Ultimate Warrior can do and Ryan Grant has been a big plus running the ball. The Seattle defense isn't too shabby but I don't think they can keep up with the Packers offense. Then the real problem is that I think the Packers defense is way too stingy to give up many points to Hasslebeck and that offense. So I'm looking for a blowout here, say 35-17.

Jacksonville @ New England (-11.5): The only difficulty in making this pick was whether it was going to be a blowout or a close game. I think the Jaguars are a good team, but I really believe they have to be able to have a good passing day to win. Why? Because I don't think the Jaguar defense is as good as advertised, especially with the injuries they have. So I don't see them stopping the Patriots, no matter how many long drives they can get with Jones-Drew and Taylor. That means the 2nd half will be all about catching up and that will require Garrard to throw a lot more than he's used to. I just don't see that working out. He's been accurate with the fewest INT's this year, but he also doesn't throw it a lot. So that said, I expect the Patriots to score early and often and for this game to be a blowout. 38-21.

San Diego @ Indy (-7.5): I'm kind of surprised at how the general consensus on this game is that the Chargers have no chance. They are 10-2 in their last 12 games, already beat the Colts once this year, and LT has been dominant the last quarter of the season. I think the line is correct and I think the Colts will ultimately win, but I would not be shocked at an upset here. I think the Colts have the best homefield advantage in the stadium with the crowd noise and the pumped in crowd noise. I don't think it would be difficult for that to rattle Rivers, but I also think that LT will get a lot of short passes in this game and use his speed and strength to get big gains. In the end though, Peyton will lead them down the field at the end and win the game. 28-24.

New York @ Dallas (-7.5): The ride ends here for New York. I don't even think it will be close. Eli had two back-to-back great performances but I don't think he keeps up this weekend and will instead toss some awful picks. I think T.O. pulls a T.O. and comes out and gets 100+ yards on 2+ TD's and Romo gets the last laugh about people who complained he was in Mexico (what is that, about 2 hours away?) during the off week. 35-16.

Should be a fun weekend in the NFL. Enjoy the games.

No comments: